Bulgarian ID card
Bulgarian residence for EU citizens
EU nationals may apply for a certificate for long-term residence and Bulgarian residence card “Bulgarian ID card”. If you would like to reside temporarily or permanently in the Republic of Bulgaria you have to register yourself with the local Migration Office. The registration is required also if you would like to apply for family reunification in Bulgaria.
Bulgarian residence for UK citizens
UK citizens can apply for Bulgarian residence as EU citizens by end of 31.12.2020. After the transitional period family members of UK citizens can enjoy the relaxed EU family reunification procedures till 31.12.2021.
To ease the family reunification procedures, UK citizens may consider building substance in Bulgaria by one of the below ways:
- Setting up a limited company in Bulgaria
- Getting registered as a freelancer in Bulgaria
- Exchanging an EU/ UK driving license for a Bulgarian one
- Registering with a local General Practicioner
How to obtain a Bulgarian ID card (lichna karta)
EU nationals who would like to apply for a Bulgarian ID card (lichna karta) have to provide the following:
- Proof of accommodation – deed or lease agreement;
- Proof of sufficient funds – a copy of the front side of a debit or credit card is considered a valid proof of sufficient funds to support your stay in Bulgaria without relying on the Bulgarian social system;
- Health insurance – this requirement can be satisfied by presenting a valid EHIC card (European Health Insurance card) or by purchasing a health insurance from a local or international insurance company.
Benefits of obtaining Bulgarian residence for European citizens
- Obtaining Bulgarian residence and Bulgarian ID card is a precondition for family reunification of your non-EU family members to Bulgaria and the European Union;
- Bulgarian legislation considers cohabiting couples as family. You are not required to present a valid marriage certificate or CBR check.
- Obtaining a Bulgarian ID card is considered advantage to be granted tax residence of Bulgaria;
- The Bulgarian residence will guarantee hassle-free visits to Bulgaria and other EU countries for British citizens after the Brexit.
- You can convert your EU/ UK driving license for a Bulgarian driving license.
- You can easily open company and private bank accounts.
Necessary steps to obtain Bulgarian residence and ID card
You are only required to bring a valid passport and EHIC card. If you do not have a valid EHIC card we will assist you to buy a local health insurance. The cost of the insurance is just 75 Euros for 12 months. The service is completed within three working days. You will submit your residency application by 12pm on Day 1, and you will be photographed by 2pm on Day 2. The residence card will be issued on the next day. If you are not able to take the card personally, you may authorize us to take it on your behalf.
Our lawyers will assist you to obtain a Bulgarian certificate for long-term residence and Bulgarian ID card for EU nationals hassle-free. We can assure you that your Bulgarian residence certificate and Bulgarian ID card will be issued within three working days.
For more details regarding the procedure of obtaining Bulgarian personal ID documents, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Expired Bulgarian ID card
If your Bulgarian residence card or Bulgarian ID card have expired our lawyers will assist you to obtain a new Bulgarian ID card.