Bulgarian ID card
Bulgarian residence for EU citizens
EU citizens may apply for Bulgarian residency card valid for 5 years. If you would like to reside temporarily or permanently in the Republic of Bulgaria you have to register yourself with the local Migration Office. The registration is required also if you would like to apply for family reunification in Bulgaria.
Our team of immigration lawyers is recommended by the prestigious Legal500.
Bulgarian residence for UK citizens
UK citizens can no longer apply for Bulgarian residence as EU citizens. After the Brexit transitional period are considered non-EU citizens and the rules for non-EU citizens apply.
UK citizens who received a Bulgarian residency card issued before the Brexit can enjoy the relexed rules for EU citizens. Same applies for their non-EU family members who would like to relocate to Bulgaria through the routes of family reunification.
How to obtain a Bulgarian ID card (lichna karta)
EU citizens who would like to apply for a Bulgarian ID card (lichna karta) have to provide the following:
- Proof of accommodation – deed or lease agreement;
- Proof of sufficient funds – a copy of the front side of a debit or credit card is considered a valid proof of sufficient funds to support your stay in Bulgaria without relying on the Bulgarian social system;
- Health insurance – this requirement can be satisfied by presenting a valid EHIC card (European Health Insurance card) or by purchasing a health insurance from a local or international insurance company.
Benefits of obtaining Bulgarian residence for European citizens
- Obtaining Bulgarian residence and Bulgarian ID card is a precondition for family reunification of your non-EU family members to Bulgaria and the European Union;
- Bulgarian legislation considers cohabiting couples as family. You are not required to present a valid marriage certificate or CBR check.
- Obtaining a Bulgarian residency card is a precondition to be granted tax residence of Bulgaria;
- The Bulgarian residence will guarantee hassle-free visits to Bulgaria and other EU countries for British citizens after the Brexit.
- You can convert your EU/ UK driving license for a Bulgarian driving license.
Necessary steps to obtain Bulgarian residency card
You are only required to bring a valid passport and EHIC card. If you do not have a valid EHIC card our team will assist you to buy a local health insurance. The cost of the insurance is just 75 Euros for 12 months validity. The service is completed within 3 working days. You will submit your residency application on Day 1, and you will be photographed on Day 2. The residence card will be issued on the next day.
Our dedicated team of immigration lawyers will assist you to obtain a Bulgarian residency card for EU citizens hassle-free.
For more details regarding the procedure of obtaining Bulgarian personal ID documents, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Expired Bulgarian residency cards
If your Bulgarian residency card or Bulgarian ID card have expired our lawyers will assist you to obtain a new card.